Posted on December 6, 2014 by Josh Tong - Tools and resources
Here are some books and other resources that have been indispensable to my work. I’ve grouped them into several broad categories:
- Content strategy, information architecture, and user experience
- Digital marketing, content marketing, and social media
- Design thinking, change management, and organizational development
- Marketing and communications
- Writing and editing
- Graphic design, layout, and production
Read more . . .
Design thinking allows teams to broaden their perspective by learning about their users’ needs. Teams can then redefine problems from their users’ point of view, generate fresh ideas, and test prototypes with the people who will use the final product or service.
Unfortunately, design thinking makes many organizations uncomfortable. So how can we introduce design thinking in a nonthreatening way? One inexpensive but powerful method is journey mapping. Read more . . .
Posted on October 21, 2014 by Josh Tong - Reviews
The term editorial design has never been more relevant to our digital world:
- Do you publish content at regular intervals?
- Do you try to unify this content so it conveys a distinct editorial or creative vision?
- Do you have a strategy to share your content with readers?
If you answered yes to these questions, you already practice editorial design. But do you practice it well? Read more . . .
Posted on July 10, 2014 by Josh Tong - Theory and practice
If we want our content to reach its full potential, then we need content strategy and content marketing to work together. Otherwise, we’ll only frustrate our readers, our stakeholders, and ourselves.
What’s holding us back, and how can we move forward? Read more . . .
Posted on June 30, 2014 by Josh Tong - Events
What challenges do content strategists face when working for the government? Three content strategists for government agencies shared stories and advice during a panel discussion on June 26, 2014. Read more . . .